Meet Snakey.
But, Reid pronounces it "Schnakey."
We couldn't think of a better name and that's what Reid calls him regardless. So Snakey it is.
This garter snake has lived under our back porch for as long as we've lived here.
A couple of days ago we spotted him entwined in our hose. He was kind enough to show off for the camera.
I don't know much about garter snakes, but this one seems to be solitary and has lived for at least 3 years. He likes to sun by our garden hose or in the grass by our gate. I have flipped him up with the back of my flip flops more than I can count. And it freaks. me. out. every. time.
If we bug him too much he just slides under our cement slab to his happy place.
Reid hates it when he does that.
For the next five minutes he sat here trying to cajole him out with a sweet "Here, Schnakey, Schnakey. Come out! Come out!"
Once Reid discovered that my camera turned on him instead of the snake, he decided it was his turn to show off. :)
It's been fun to see how big Snakey's getting. Being renters, we haven't been able to have pets {which I am kind of not so secretly glad about}. He's the closest we've come to a pet at this apartment.
We love you Snakey. :)
{And I love that I don't have to clean your tank, or feed you, or take care of you at all!}

Love the post. Eww, that snake is so creepy and cool at the same time. So, perfect for a house of boys who would appreciate him. :)
ReplyDeleteI agree... Eww. I am not a big fan of snakes but I can see how it is a wonderful "pet" for your boys- especially since you don't have to do ANYTHING to take care of it. I would be a bit creeped out though... :)
ReplyDeleteBlah! You're a brave one Delia!!!
ReplyDeleteThat is so cool, you got pics of his tongue in motion!
ReplyDeleteThose pics are AWESOME....even if it is a snake! EWWW!!! And I love the mad face that Reid has. So cute!
ReplyDelete