Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Ten Things

So...I just realized that some of these things happened during Spring break but I didn't remember to add them in the last post. So I'll add them here.

Here are 10 things from our last week or so...

10. Owen made this cow hat/crown at school and brought it home. Reid immediately seized from his hands and played cow while Owen did his homework.



What a nut. :)



9. We have been getting a ton of rain. It has already started flooding in parts near here. We are praying it doesn't get worse. We have rain almost everyday and even have snow fore-casted for tomorrow.

It has made me realize I could deal with living in Washington just fine. I don't really mind it too much to be honest. Jared on the other hand just said the other day that he might NOT apply to a job opening in Washington because he hates all this rain. Forgive him. He is a bit jaded by this thesis that has become a huge thorn in his side.


8. Owen got a fun animal magazine from Grandma T in the mail last week. He has been reading it and working on it often. He loves it! Reid also gets his own little younger version of the magazine and loves looking at all the animals. Thanks Grandma T.

7. Reid is so feisty. The other day we had a conversation that went something like this:

Jared was leaving for work/school and good byes are very important to Reid. So he stood by the door shouting out last minute repeated farewells to him as Jared ran to the bus.

Reid: Bye Dad! I love you!
Me: I love you! {to Jared}
Reid: He's mine! {to me}
Me: No...he is mine. :) Actually...
Reid: {out the door} Dad! I love you FIRST!

Shortly after this he sits on the stairs and says to me...

Reid: I'm #2!
Me: Ha ha...Well...then I'm #1.
Owen chimes in with: Reid... #1 is better than #2 ya know? {maniacal laughing afterward}
Reid thinks for a minute... then says: I'm #2 FIRST!

Ha ha...I seriously love having my kids this age. I love babies and toddlers are trying on the nerves. But I much prefer these ages over the baby stage.

My toddler trouble example picture.... Here is Reid caught red handed with the camera he nicked out of an off limits drawer. In a Christmas pajama top no less. I can't help but smile and sigh at the same time. I still don't take it back though. I still much prefer this age.

6. I learned that when Reid says his ear hurts, he means it. I took him in Sunday to the doctor because he {and Owen but he was faring better} had a fever since Friday afternoon, got goopy eye, and was still getting hives. Oh yeah the hives...he got them as a lingering side effect from a stomach virus. This guy has been through the sickness ringer this Spring. It turns out I could add ear infection to that list after our visit. Poor guy.

He would randomly start hitting his ear saying, "Ouch! It hurts. It hurts. It hurts!"

Here are my sick guys munching on left over homemade pizza for lunch.


Reid's eye looked more red and swollen earlier in the day. It seems the drops were already working and the camera didn't pick up how bad this really looked in person.

5. And he just can't seem to stay out of trouble and therefore the family news...Reid learned that he really can't fly and he is not Buzz Lightyear - the hard way. He tried jumping off the back of the couch with the Buzz wings on. I heard the crash, the silence pause, and then the screaming. I ran down stairs to see what happened. The first thing Reid whimpered was" I not Buzz. I not fly." I tried my best not to laugh...because of the extreme cuteness factor...and snuggled his tears away.

Again the camera didn't adequately catch how red he got. Crazy kid. He likes to copy things from the Toy Story movies a little too literally. 


Our large Buzz is missing two hands, a wing, and a helmet because Reid has been launching him off the stairs just like in Toy Story. He nicks my little pots of lip balm so he can polish Woody's boots - just like in Toy Story 2 when that doll restorer fixes Woody. And he loves to push imaginary buttons on his chest before he pops his arms to the side like wings and 'flys' around the room. Obsessed? Ya think?

4. We have been getting scissor practice on our recycle head men. It's fun to watch kids open their mouths and then close them as they cut. :) I should have gotten a better picture of it. I cracks me up every time.

 Close...chomp.


3. We started 12 days of Easter this year. The boys love it. I think it has helped our whole family remember the reason for Easter this year. Another thing I have been doing is teaching all the FHE lessons for 9 weeks to coincide with the 9 ingredients for a successful family as listed in The Family: A Proclamation to the World. I am doing it for Personal Progress. {I decided to do it again with the Young Women.} So...We have done faith, prayer, and tonight was repentance. It was perfect for Easter.


We talked about how the Atonement can wash away our bad choices or sins. We were surprised as ever, when I asked the review question, "how are our bad choices washed away?" and Reid piped up with, "Tell Jesus we are sorry!" I tried to use a water, food coloring, bleach experiment as an object lesson...but it didn't work. The bleach is supposed to make the 'dirty' food coloring tainted water clear again. Yeah...It just made it a lighter blue. The kids were oohing and aahing, but it messed up my point I was trying to make. I added a ton of bleach too. Ha...

2. I learned that my husband is quite handy. Toward the end of Spring break our dryer broke. It would spin the clothes around but never get hot. So I called up some repair men and got all kinds of quotes. One guy said it would be almost $200, another quotes a minimum of $75 just to look at it. We paid $100 for the dryer. Seriously? We were not going to pay that much. As I left for Enrichment that night, I told Jared to dig around in the back of it and just see if he could fix it. It was already broken so it's not like it could get worse.

He found the problem, did some internet research, bought a part, reinstalled it and fixed the dang thing for $65 bucks! I am so proud of him! It even works better now than it did before.

1. Owen's class had a field trip to see some baby animals at a local farm last week. Reid and I got to tag along and had a lot of fun. It was cool to see how well behaved Owen was the whole time. He is a much better listener to his teachers. :) And way less wiggly. He must save his wiggles for me.

Toward the end of the visit we went to see the calves. One of the first things Reid and I did was step in a nice juicy cow paddy. Then it got on Reid's pants. And before that a duckling pooped on Reid's pants. Forgot to mention that. Then our stroller got poop all up in the wheels. I didn't realize what a priss I was until that field trip. Good thing I had the presence of mind to bring a tarp for the stroller to lay on in the back of the van. Everybody got a good hose down when we got home.

That was our week...and I am pooped out. Really. :)

5 comments:

  1. haha, I love your closing statement. What a week. I really wish I was as ambitious as you are... I love all the fun things you do with your family. And I absolutely LOVE the buzz stories. That is too funny. At least Reid didn't get too hurt right? What a character. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is TOOOOO cute. The cow thing with Reid and the flying off the couch - he is a total crack up Delia. And what a GREAT idea with the 12 days of Easter. Hooray too for handy husbands, right? I LOVE when Richard fixes things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you kids are so dang cute! i TOTALLY agree with you about liking this age WAY more than the baby stage. (yet for some reason i have convinced myself i can do this again :) )if you ever do decide to go private make sure to include me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Western Washington is rainy. We didn't have a spring or summer last year, and it's not looking good this year. Honestly, I get used to not seeing the sun, though the days we do have sun, we are OUT. Eastern WA, however, is sunny and dry just like Utah.

    You really do some cute stuff with your kids. I wish I had the presence of mind. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like I've had another visit with all of you, just reading the Easter and week before posts. Thanks for sharing the joys and fun with all of us!!! We are actually having a spring this year and it looks like we may have an apple crop -- the first in 5 years. The last 4 years we've gone from winter and snow in May to summer first of June. Even the lilacs and iris are getting a chance to bloom this year. It's been wonderful!! Since Jared's visit I look at my home completely differently -- like, "Jared should see the stars tonight, or Jared would really like to see my apple trees in bloom." My prayers are with you both in finding the job and place to raise your family where you can best serve the Lord. I love you all so much!

    ReplyDelete