My baby is eight and was baptized on Saturday!
It was such a neat experience for all of us and we are so proud of Owen and his decision to be baptized.
(For more information on Mormons go here.)
We started months ago talking about it with him. We wanted to make sure he was prepared to make the decision for himself (as much as an eight year old can). We had family home evening lessons on it and made sure he knew what being baptized would mean.
We had many moments of sweet testimonies being born, and the Spirit filling our home as we discussed the principles of the gospel and the covenants he gets to make at baptism.
The day of his baptism started a little rushed but in the end, it was a very uplifting, beautiful experience.
I asked to be apart of the program but there was unfortunately a mis-communication between our ward leaders and the stake leaders so that didn't happen. I was so grateful when they asked me to come up after the speakers and bear my testimony though. I felt guided by the Spirit to share how I remember feeling at my own baptism and felt even more filled with joy at Owen's decision.
Jared asked him how he felt afterward. In his words, "I feel like I'm floating. Like I'm weight-less."
In the busy-ness of the event and keeping track of Reid and Natalie I did not get a picture of Jared and Owen before they entered the baptismal font. Luckily a friend snapped a photo on his iphone. (Owen needs to be reminded to smile for pictures - but as his mom I am usually the only one to remember to do this :)).
Otherwise everything happened smoothly. Jared baptized Owen, and my father and Jared's brother, David, were witnesses. Jared performed the confirmation.
We had a small gathering of family and friends which turned out to be the perfect intimate setting for our shy boy.
I grabbed some pictures afterward though with all of the family that was able to attend.
*This picture makes me laugh. It was the last group picture...Owen kept closing his eyes, and Reid was so over it from picture one.
What a special day for our special boy. We love you Owen.
Other fun facts of the day:
We both forgot the baptismal clothing (which was why were late). When we got to the church building, Jared and I both looked at each other like, "I thought you grabbed the bag." oops.
We were so grateful that David and Kendra could come! They had to miss another family birthday and drive quite a ways. We feel thankful they made the sacrifice.
We had a family lunch for which I made a big pot of chili. Now, with the exception of Wendy's chili (seriously unexpectedly the best chili I've ever had) I don't really like chili enough to make it. In fact I had never made it before but until Owen requested it for his baptism/birthday lunch. Only for you Owen. :)
Reid was a grump the whole time and spent much of the program in time out. Maybe it was a good thing I wasn't speaking...
Natalie is afraid of everyone but Jared and I, so I held her the whole time. That is, until the end when David tried reaching for her. Like magic she cuddled right up to him. Wish I discovered that bit of information way earlier!
Owen's main concern before he got in the water was whether the water would be cold or not... It was warm.
We spent the evening at a Hibachi Restaurant but it took convincing. Owen was set on going to Golden Corral. Afterward, he was glad we made him try something new (and so are we). :)
We unfortunately missed church the next day because both Reid and Owen woke up with terrible coughs and fevers. We had a pretty full week of birthday celebrations, winning 1st place at his first Derby Car race, and a sledding birthday party. As with most busy weeks, it ended in us all getting sick, but we've enjoyed the needed rest and snuggles.
Mesh Market Crochet Bag – Free Pattern
3 weeks ago








.jpg)

Thanks so much for the photos and telling us all about Owen's baptism! We are so proud of your family and of Owen who made the decision to be baptized! We love you! D&A
ReplyDeleteI seriously cannot believe he is 8! I'm still in shock. :) sounds like you had a wonderful day though (as you should). Glad you had family there to enjoy it with you.
ReplyDeleteHow very special! Beautiful pictures. And HOLY COW - he's 8.
ReplyDeleteJust wanted to check in and say HI! I've been MIA! Anyway, congrats to Owen!!!!!
ReplyDelete