Sunday, January 8, 2012

Christmas

Here's a smattering of pictures from our Christmas...



 They sure got what they wanted too. I was surprised that Reid really wanted Holly Shiftwell but he plays with her almost every day. {shrug} Santa also made sure that the die cast cars from him actually talked. We only get them the basic ones.

Oh and I should mention that Owen wrote Reid's letter for him...

 Advents galore. Our names of Christ advent. There was an ornament for each day leading up to Christmas and each ornament has a name of Christ on it.
 Daily surprise box advent. I put candy and or a fun activity or service in there each day. I had a lot of snow activities that I planned to put in this one, but we hardly got any snow this December. It was so strange because it usually looks like a ski resort where we live for at least four months of the year. We broke all kinds of records. I think it's the driest winter since 1920 something?? I missed the snow a lot more than I thought I would.
 Book advent. A Christmas/snow book for each day leading up to Christmas.
 Gum advent. One for each of us. Reid finished his off I think I week or so before Christmas though and then started mooching off me. :)
 Licking the beaters in pajamas and Buzz wings. Reid hates getting dressed and since we don't often go out much - I'm tired and pregnant, I let him stay in his PJ's all day at least one or two days a week. I know it's a terrible habit but I'm too tired to care right now. When we do have to leave the house he fights it horribly though. : /
 Sugar cookies. Owen's tasted the best because he glopped a TON of frosting on.

 I made some Rudolph gloves to help Reid and Owen learn the song for the church program and for Owen's school program.
 Paper snowflakes...because we didn't have many real ones. :)
 Making grandparent gifts. Silly soaps. I figured this was a way to get them involved but still make something that can be used everyday.

 We also recorded some Christmas stories. This was soooooo funny to make with them. I think we're going to make it a tradition. Even if we just do one for ourselves.

 27 or 28 weeks pregnant? I think. It's so silly how I used to count down the weeks meticulously before and with this pregnancy I haven't been keeping track hardly at all. I just don't have time, energy, or brain space to think about it I guess. I am 30 weeks now though. I know that. Because I am starting my every two week appointments.
Our neighbor treats this year. Frozen unbaked cookies. We have been enjoying the leftovers many times since. ;)
 Again with the flexing. :)
 Excited.

 Thanks for getting me a tracing pad and pencils Reid. Thanks for getting me a race car Owen.
 Our new family game I concocted. 

It's basically a get to know you type game that asks you questions and tells you to do silly things. The boys really had fun with this one. Reid's answers were always the funniest of course. Age 3 is so fun. We also learned that Reid can actually do a free standing head stand. One of the cards prompted him to try it. I didn't expect much...but he did it!
 
 My dad got a job in Salt Lake in December so he came up for Christmas Eve. Here he is with the boys talking to my mom on the computer. She hasn't had a chance to move up with my dad yet. So my brother spent Christmas with her.

 Happy Birthday to me. Jared and I went to the Bluebird on our anniversary/my birthday. So we did the whole blowing out the candles during Christmas Eve dinner. 

If you think I look tired here. You would be correct. :)
 Our kiwi strawberry shortcake dessert. Almost all of our food was red, white, and green. We did four courses this year, but I was too tired to get too fancy with it and take pictures.
 I got a package full of jewelry from one of my blog sponsors. Love it. It was such a nice surprise because I wasn't expecting it.


Gingerbread houses. We do this every year and every year I swear we won't do it again. It is so much work for me. But then Jared reminds me that they love it and I resolve to do it again for the next year. 




 We did candy windows this year. Looks hard but it was one of the easiest parts of the process.
 These sat on our table for about a week. They were so gross by the end...

Reading our last Christmas advent books by the light of the Christmas tree. We missed a couple of days so we played catch up on Christmas Eve.


And that's it. Kind of random but that's how our holidays have been.

Jared just got back from West Virginia for a second interview. He was gone three days. We won't know anything until the end of the month though.

He is working full time at Convergys. He hates it. But it pays the bills until he can something in his field.

I am trying to keep distracted with my blog because it's the only thing that keeps me from going crazy while we figure out if we are moving in the next month or not...did I mention that I only have 10 weeks left of this pregnancy and that's if she comes on time and not early? We don't have a crib set up, a nursery, nothing is organized...which is why I need distraction because there is not a lot I can do about anything until we know what we are doing. I keep thinking that if I set up the crib will I just be taking it back down again in a few weeks? Sigh...thank goodness for distractions.

Speaking of distractions...the kids are fabulous distractions. They keep me completely busy too which is nice. If we had this much crazy going on with our first, I think I might have already gone completely nuts. :)

Owen is loving school. They got a class pet hermit crab which he loves.

He is excited to be turning 7. We are planning a family trip to the aquarium and his favorite restaurant - Red Lobster, instead of a party {he had a choice between that and a party}. His wall by his bed is covered in pictures of aquatic animals he has colored and or drawn. He tells me cool facts almost everyday about some new sea creature he learned about.

Reid started Primary! I can hardly believe it. 

We got him a new Book of Mormon and I made a case for it, almost just like Owen's.

He cried a little the first day but has done really well since. He actually listens, sits in his seat and I think sings along...which is such a relief to me. Especially since he has had a hard time at home lately. 


With Jared being gone it's been hard on him. They love their dad so much. I thought I heard Jared's car pull in and told the boys - as I was getting them ready for a bath. It was actually our neighbor's car but Reid ran out completely naked in freezing temperatures to greet him. Whoops! I had no idea. I was making my way downstairs when I saw him come back in as he mopily said "Owen made me come back inside!" ----uh yeah! Thanks Owen! Yikes. Luckily it was dark outside. I hope no one saw him. That kid is a walking heater. We can all be freezing and he'll sleep soundly all night, with just a blanket on and no clothes.

Other funny things that Reid has said lately:

Reid: Mom. I want a dog for my birthday. 
Mom: We can't get a dog now. Probably not for a while. Sorry.
Reid: Awwww! O-tay. I want a chicken. Chickens are great pets! Oh and bacon! Yeah bacon. I wike bacon.
Owen: Bacon is a FOOD not a pet Reid!
Reid: Oooooh!

--------------------

I got Reid from his bed after a nap. 
Mom: Did you sleep well?
Reid: No. I had-a bad-a dream.
Mom: Oh...what was it about?
Reid: I was eating squids! But we are hoo-mans {humans} Mom. Squids eat hoo-mans!

Owen loves squids and talks about them all the time and I guess Reid has been listening.

I can't believe we already have a week of January behind us. Time please sloooow down.

5 comments:

  1. How fun! You guys are so cute. I love reading about your cute family. we really need to get together. Come visit anytime! I wanted to tell you about my friend's blog about cloth diapers. I know you like that and seeing her blog, makes me want to go cloth, but my husband still says no! he'd rather pay the extra money.... Anyway, if you want to take a look it's under Britney and Greg, in my blog list and then click on her cloth diaper website. they really have come along way and they're cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a very busy, but Oh so fun Christmas break for you. Sorry about the waiting to find a job thing. I just have to tell you that I have a VERY strong testimony of being patient (especially in waiting for a job). The Lord has proven to me time and time again lately that good things do really come to those who wait. But I know it's not easy so know my prayers are with you and your family.

    I would be completely mortified to find that my child had run outside completely naked... but apparently I used to do very similar things myself. :) That Reid is so full of personality. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOu did wonderful things with your kids this holiday! Kudos to you - being pregnant at Christmas is hard, I was there last year with Deirdre. You always take such lovely pictures, I love looking at your blog because of it.

    And I want to know how you made those candy windows!! :) We do our gingerbread houses every year and always have fun, but that looks like a fun addition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE all the pictures! Merry Christmas, Happy Birthday and Happy Anniversary!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. No wonder you're tired, Delia, you're FULL of wonderful activities!!! I LOVE my Frosty the Snowman book!!! How did the boys do the soap dispensers??? Those are keepers!! Hope you know where you'll be going soon. My prayers are always with you!I love you!

    ReplyDelete