Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloween 2011

Here are some {okay a ton} pictures from our Halloween.

 Reid did the honors of taking the top off our pumpkin. That's right. No "s" on the end of pumpkin. We just carved one. I figured that was all I could manage this year.
 Can you see him saying, "Ewwww!"?
 Right after this he said, "Dross!" :)
 Owen pretty much did all the work while Reid "helped."
 If looking fierce...
 cheering on your brother,
 sticking out your belly to prove it's bigger than the pumpkin,
 smiling for the camera {what a ham},
 and eventually losing interest...is helping. :)

We each picked a face part to design, I carved it, and then we named him Jack.

 For the other pumpkins our neighbor {who's grandfather owns a farm} so kindly gave us, we used these pumpkin kits...kind of like Mr. Potato head pieces.

On Saturday, we had a spooky, festive meal.

Bloody bones {ribs}, monster mash {potatoes and sweet potatoes}, goblin stew {creamy pea soup}, and blood {tomato juice}. I was the only one who drank the blood though. Guess it looks pretty gross when you call it that.

Tonight we went trick or treating. It took some work to get Reid to pose for the camera. Jared was a trooper to help. As you can see...he went as a fisherman. :)
 He set up a "race" to get Reid to hold still. Worked like a charm.

And they're off!



Owen went as Frankenstein. 


We cut up some old clothes, taped balled up socks into the shoulders of a blazer he borrowed from Reid and I made the hat. 

 Owen was sure he wanted to be Frankenstein from the very first time I asked him, which was a nice change from how many times he changed his mind last year. In the weeks that followed he would ask all sorts of questions about whether zombies had brains or ate brains, etc.

Reid got a dragon costume from Old Navy. 

  I had a coupon so I got it back in September for $13. I think the material alone would probably cost almost that much, I don't think I could duplicate the handiwork, and it was much easier for Reid to choose from what they had in the store. Plus...I love Old Navy costumes. :) It was all win-win for me.


He waggled that cute, little poofy bum from door to door and had a great time. Owen asked if he could grab his tail and he shouted, "No! It's sharp! It will cut you and knock you out of this house!" Ha ha. He really hoped those wings would help him fly too but alas...did not succeed. 


I went as a pumpkin. Not original, but very comfy.


The boys had a blast trick or treating door to door. 


Trick or treating at the mall...not so much. Reid especially had a hard time. Owen's always pretty easy going, but it was clear the best part of the night was going around the neighborhood.




 At the end of the night, they counted up their loot...


...ate a few more pieces then they were supposed to :)...


and were ready for bed by 8:00! It's a school night after all. Owen even had homework today. I was bummed for him about that.

Owen's favorite candy this year was Kit Kats. He got a lot of them, and was always good to share at least a little piece with Reid every time. Such a good brother.

Reid upon eating his first toostie roll this year asked, "What's this Mom?"
I told him, to which he replied, "Hmmm. I wike dese."

But...when people gave them to him at the mall he turned his nose up to them! I was a little embarrassed by his snottiness. I guess he doesn't like them anymore.

One more candy conversation I had with Reid:

Reid: Mom, what are these?
Me: Smarties.
Reid: Oh Farties!
Me: Not Farties, Smarties.
Reid: I not say Farties. I say Farties!
Me: Say sssssssss.
Reid: ssssssssss.
Me: marties.
Reid: marties.
Me: Ssssss-marties.
Reid: Ssssssssssss-mart-ies.
Me: Smarties!
Reid: Farties!

Ha ha.


The weather was perfect this year and it was really fun to hit more houses of ward members and friends than we've been able to in past years. It was a wonderful Halloween!

11 comments:

  1. Haha, this was cute! ...and I dont know if I already mentioned it before on your craft blog, but I love the Frankenstein hat! So cute! Your boys are adorable, so glad they had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the pictures. :) Cute costumes Delia - I like the pumpkin you.

    That conversation with Reid makes me laugh SO HARD. We do that with Linus ALL the time.

    Linus: this jacked is dammed
    Me: No honey, say JAMMED
    Linus: dammed
    Me: D D D D
    Linus: D D D D
    ME: jammed
    Linus: dammed

    SHEESH :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You never cease to amaze me. I LOVE Owen's costume! What a cute, creative idea. And Reid is adorable as ever in his costume as well. What a cute family you have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I knew you made Owen's costume becaues it looks awesome! Good job Mom! I never knew Old Navy sold costumes, that's cool! Love your cute costume, shows off your adoable preggo-ness! Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehe! Reid's little belly poking out at the pumpkin made me giggle. So cute. And I love the pictures where your boys are in full costume, getting ready to run. Plus, your costume was adorable. You're so good. I haven't dressed up for Halloween for who-knows how long. Your pumpkin idea was perfect and so adorable. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pictures! It looks like you had a great time. I totally relate to just carving one pumpkin. This year we did---zero. It's been too hot, pumpkins in 80 degree weather. I don't think so. They would rot before Halloween even came. We did have some decorated pumpkins from a few parties so I will definitely have to get a picture of those. I love the hats you made. They are amazing and very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! I forgot! I love the white frames with the black silhouettes on your wall. I love that style of decorations. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a fun time! And congrats on the baby girl. Obviously I'm very jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that story of Ried! One day I caught katelynn saying to ty why are you saying trick of treat like that- frick or freat. It was cute. I'll miss his cute little boys way of talking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha Farties :) Your boys crack me up! I enjoyed all the pictures, especially the one of Reid poking his belly out at the pumpkin. Glad you guys had a fun Halloween! This year we joined in on a trunk-or-treat (I've resisted them up till now) and ended up disappointed... Nothing compares to good old-fashioned trick-or-treating door-to-door! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What cute costumes! you look adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete