This last Saturday we went on our annual aquatic bug hunt. The water levels have been really high. So high that our river has exceeded any known records for height and flow. To be safe, we decided to go high in elevation to head waters near where Jared did his graduate research.
This was not taken with a slow shutter speed. The water really is moving that fast!
We hiked out to the stream and enjoyed a beautiful view. Because of the snow/rain we got this year, everything is sooo green. Pictures don't do it justice.
I can't believe Jared got to work out here almost every day for the last few years. I should say gets because he still goes out sometimes, just not as often since he is handing the work off to someone else now.
They boys loved collecting the bugs off rocks Jared picked out of the stream.
Jared did all the dirty work in the stream. Since the water was still flowing so fast, we kept the boys on shore.
We kept finding lots and lots of Mayfly nymphs.
While we were out there we also found non-water bugs.
These caterpillars were wriggling all over this hive? We weren't sure what to call it.
The cowboys and their pretty horses were out there too. They come out to let their cattle graze every summer.
Then we let the wind whip through our hair as we rode home in the Suzuki with the top off. Jared found a way to get the car seats in pretty securely so I acquiesced to his plea to go in the Suzuki.
All in all, it was a beautiful Saturday. Sigh. I love where we live.

What a fun family adventure! I must say I'm glad I have girls... I can't handle the bugs. Yuck.
ReplyDelete