Sunday, October 2, 2011

Reid turns 3

On September 16, Reid got to wake up to this...
 
 Thank you to all the grandparents, cousins, aunts, and uncles for your cards, gifts and well wishes.



 Jared made french toast for breakfast, then took him out for a spin on his kayak.

They had a hot dog lunch at Sam's club. We're big spenders around here. :)

Then for dinner that night, we reenacted Little Bear's "Birthday Soup" by Else Holmelund Minarik. 
 
For a stint of several months it has been been one of those stories that he asks for several times per day. Jared, Owen and I have all had lots of turns to read it to him. So it was fun for all of us to help bring it alive for his birthday. 

 We made a soup with carrots, tomatoes, peas and potatoes - just like in the book.
 All of Little Bear's guests were there and brought gifts...
 Chicken with her honey.
 Duck with his flowers.

 And Cat with his apple {he understandably didn't really want a close up picture taken. :)}
 As we sat down for soup, Mother Bear {I had to slip out of my chicken costume} came in with a nice big chocolate cake.

 Little Bear loved it and kept referring to us by character name. "Cat" {Jared} even got stuck with his nickname for a couple of days afterward.
 
The next day was Saturday, so we all took a short trip down to Ogden. My mom and dad had saved some Chuckie Cheese tokens from when my brother and I were kids and then gave them to us. We blew them all in one afternoon and got a handful of cheap toys from the prize counter. It was fun and crazy. I forgot how ADD-ish Chuckie Cheese is. It kind of gave me a headache, but the boys loved it.

Then we got subs and some frozen yogurt before we headed home. 

It was fun to create family memories together and share in celebrating Reid's 3rd birthday. Wow...I can hardly believe it. My baby is 3.






3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. What I can't believe is that Reid looks so grown up, but MY boy is going to be 3 in a couple months too. When did this happen? I loved your story reenactment. So stinkin' adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you recreated the book. That is such a thoughtful thing to do. I love it! You do such fun things with your kids! I hope you're pregnancy is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is super cool. Our kids love Little Bear. (We love Frog and Toad also; do you read their stories also?) If our kids had birthdays coming up I would want to do the same thing.

    ReplyDelete